It’s time for the 2023 Wine and Dine half marathon! It’s time to not just talk about running and see if you can take the pressure. Let’s find some light and some imagination and away we go!
As always, make sure to bookmark the event guide so you have it at your fingertips: https://www.rundisney-expo.run/
2023 WINE AND DINE HALF MARATHON WEEKEND EXPO
If you are running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon you will need to go to the expo before Sunday to get your bib. You can not have a family member pick it up for you.
The expo is open 10a-7p on Thursday Nov 2nd, 12-7p on Friday Nov 3rd, and 11a-3p on Saturday Nov 4th. Make sure to sign the digital waiver ahead of time by logging into your runDisney account (the one you created when you registered): https://manage.rundisney.com/login
Virtual Queue – If you want to get runDisney official merchandise on Thursday Nov 2nd, you MUST register for the virtual queue. You (and up to 5 additional people) can signup to join at 8:30 ET via the My Disney Experience app (the Walt Disney World app where you manage all your other Disney vacation fun). If you do plan on going to the expo on Thursday and you don’t need official merchandise, I would suggest skipping the virtual queue and just going sometime in the late afternoon, 4pm would be when I would go for a more relaxed experience.
More information about the virtual queue system here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/virtual-queue/#drawer-card-drawerRunDisney
The expo is spread out over the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex (WWoS) with:
- AdventHealth Arena (A) hosting the official runDisney merchandise, character meet and greets, and the Club runDisney Platinum HQ (2nd Level)
- Athletic Center (B) hosting the gEAR Bag Pick up, shirt exchange, and vendor expo
- State Farm® Field House hosting the bib pickup, perfect gift distribution (if applicable), and runner relations
At a minimum all runners need to go to the State Farm® Field House (C on the map) to get their bib and the Athletic Center (B on the map) to get their gEAR bag and shirts. Give yourself at least an hour to get everything you need.
2023 Wine and DIne Half Marathon
You want to make sure you give yourself plenty of time to drive or catch the bus from your hotel to the Epcot parking lot. For those staying in a Disney hotel, please make sure to read the information in the hotel lobby or near the race weekend transportation pickup. Pro-tip: snap a picture of this information so you can review it later!
The event entrance looks like it will open at 2:30am and the event information says to arrive to the Epcot parking lot no later than 4:00am. Once you arrive at Epcot, you will walk to the front of the theme park to go through standard theme park security. You then walk to the back corner of the parking lot to the race staging area. It will likely take 15-20 min to do the slow morning shuffle to the start areas from the buses/parking.
If you are checking a bag at bag check, be sure to give yourself a half hour before you want to be in your corral for this just in case. Sometimes the bag check has been unorganized and slow in the morning and this will help reduce your stress.
So if you are in corral A, you should be dropping your bag no later than 4am, which gives you a half hour for bag drop and then 10 min to walk to your corral before it closes at 4:40. If you want to be at the front of the corral, any corral, you should do bag check probably no later than 3:30 so you can be ready when your corral opens. Don’t forget a pre-race snack, I like to pack some fruit snacks, Starbursts, or energy chews for some simple carbs just before the start!
So now, you are ready, you are in your corral, and it’s time for playtime. Always remember that the race is the celebration of all the training you have done, so don’t sacrifice the joy and magic of running!
High-Level Course Overview
For those that ran the Springtime Surprise Toy Story 10-Miler, this course will feel very similar. You start in the Epcot parking lot before running backstage to the Epcot cast member parking lot. This is the same first 1.5 miles as Friday’s 5k. You enter World Showcase by Mexico before running around World Showcase lagoon. Runners will then run through the UK before turning left to go backstage and head towards the Crescent Lake area.
Runners go around Crescent Lake on the BoardWalk side and then take the path to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. You will enter to the right of the park entrance and then run up Hollywood Blvd, around Gertie’s lagoon/Echo Lake, through Galaxy’s Edge, Toy Story Land, and then up Sunset Blvd.
Runners exit to backstage to the right of Tower of Terror before heading out onto Beuna Vista Dr. You will run by Coronado Springs Resort and Blizzard Beach before turning onto Osceola Parkway. Runners will then run up World Dr until they get to the Epcot exit ramp.
If you ran the 10k, you will run the same route in reverse on World Dr before taking the ramp to Epcot Center Dr. Then you run to Epcot, around Future World, and then run backstage before heading to the finish line in the Epcot parking lot.
Course Details and Potential Character Spots
Now that you have the overview, let’s dive in to the details!
- The start is in the Epcot parking lot before running along the parking lot to the backstage area where Epcot cast members park. You will then continue running backstage until you enter World Showcase at the character meet and greet location by Mexico. There is usually a character stop near mile marker 1 backstage and I would hope some entertainment in Mexico.
- You will run around World Showcase, don’t forget that there is a slight uphill going into the American Adventure and then again when taking the bridges between France and the UK (crossing the Channel!). Along this part of World Showcase I’m going to guess there will be 2-3 characters.
- You then run through the UK, before exiting backstage, run around the Skyliner station, and enter the Crescent Lake area. You run along the BoardWalk (watch your step the wood boards can be slick in the morning) before continuing along the path to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. There may be a character by the Atlantic Dance Hall.
- Runners take the path along the water to DHS, run past the Skyliner station, and towards the park entrance where you will head right.
- Let’s breakdown the amazing run through DHS (I’m seriously jealous I’m not running this):
- You enter the park to the right of the entrance through backstage before turning right to run up Hollywood Blvd, this is your Main St USA moment. Enjoy the beauty and the neon as you smile big for some Photopass pictures!
- You then go left towards Gertie the Dinosaur (fun history lesson if you don’t know who Gertie is) run past Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular and towards Galaxy’s Edge.
- You run through Galaxy’s Edge and I’m hoping you get a character stop or at least sighting here! Runners then head into Toy Story Land which again should have some characters out since there are so many to choose from!
- You exit the area and then turn left running a bit through Animation Courtyard before exiting through the giant arch (smile pretty because Photopass will likely be getting pics here).
- You then take another left and turn onto Sunset Blvd towards the Tower of Terror where you will exit to the right of the tower. Smile pretty for the Photopass photographers along Sunset!
- Runners go through the Fantasmic theater area before heading backstage and exiting onto Buena Vista Dr. There will likely be a character before exiting to the road and along the route as you pass Coronado Springs!
- Once you pass Blizzard Beach, you will turn on to Osceola Parkway.
- You will then take World Dr all the way back to Epcot, you just need to make it to mile 10 and then you will be back in the magic! I think miles 6-10 are going to feel a lot like the miles after the Magic Kingdom when you are running back to Epcot in the Epcot to MK half marathon courses.
- Just before mile 10, the ramp will take you up and over World Dr so be prepared for the incline plus the grade/tilt the road will have. If you are feeling tired this might be a great opportunity to take a walk break before hitting the last 2 miles.
- Here you will have down slope as you make your way back to Epcot.
- This is a very sharp turn at the bottom of the incline before heading back up another ramp, this is my least favorite feature of these types of runDisney courses that enter Epcot.
- There is another overpass ramp here so get ready to power up another hill before you glide down the hill into the Epcot resort bus drop off area.
- You then run backstage behind The Seas and The Land before entering Future World around Imagination. I do NOT think Figment will be here since he should be at the finish line to take medal pictures in the post race area!
- You’ll make a quick loop up to World Showcase Lagoon and then run down the center path back to Future World and get a good view of that beautiful, glittering Spaceship Earth. Runners will go around Creations Shop and then through the breezeway to Mission Space. Honestly, I’m usually very focused on just finishing but there may be 2 more characters in Epcot. One I would guess would be on runner’s right along World Showcase Lagoon and another might be near Mission Space or Test Track.
- Runners then take the exit behind Test Track to run the final half mile backstage before finishing in the Epcot parking lot but slightly moved from the usual place and closer to Epcot. Throw those hands up, give a wave to whatever character is at the finish, and put a big smile on, you did it!
You did it! Congratulations! You can grab YOUR medal and then grab a water and/or Powerade (red, blue, or yellow). If you are running the Challenge, you will then get your challenge medal and then all runners will grab a snack box.
If you checked a bag, grab that and then head out to meet your family and friends. After taking a minute to celebrate, stretch, sit, drink some water, or whatever you need, you can then grab your bus back or head to your car. I hope you have a special breakfast planned!
I’m so excited for you all and hope you all have the best race. What are you looking forward to most?